2008 was a significantly different year for me on so many different levels. I began the year in Egypt where I experienced 2 New Year countdowns (one in Egypt time, one in Singapore time). Epiphany dawned on me when I realised that time waits for no one and it wasn't everyday that you have a second chance at anything. (Then) I was about to turn 27, and hadn't accomplished much in my life because I was too cautious with my life. And so I made a bold resolution. For every month of my life, I would try something commendable that I had never done previously.
And I did. I stuck to my resolution for every month of 2008.
Were there good decisions? You bet.
Were there times I wished I didn't jump into the unknown for the sake of my resolution? Definitely.
All in all, 2008 was indeed my year of change. And with all changes, come good and poor consequences. But regardless of the results, you mature from the experiences, and I like to believe that makes you a better person.
In no order of importance, here are other things which I will remember 2008 for:
1. Facebook
I got a bit hooked on Facebook this year but grew out of the stupid quizzes, blow-kisses, online friend trading as quickly as they came. I reunited with people from my past -- ex-classmates, ex-colleagues, ex-best friends, etc. Some reunions were cute and others were disappointing to the extent that I wished we never met again, so that I would remember the person at his/her best. Facebook has a wide variety of functions and even enabled me to sell an item. It also exposed my privacy to the eyes of people who cannot mind their own business. Eg. my new Boss. We even got into a small conflict as she wanted me to moderate the organisation group, when I was still new in the company and wanted to keep the knowledge of where I was working at, a secret from the prying eyes of my ex-colleagues. The next day she apologised to me. That was such a surprise.
2. MyPaper
Speaking of writing, this year, I became a real columnist. In 6 months, I've contributed 7 articles to a local English/Mandarin daily, MyPaper. Not sure what the exact readership is, but it is distributed in some offices, schools and at MRTs. I googled my name once and I was pleasantly surprised to see my article quoted on someone else's blog. I'm proud to say that all my articles were in Mandarin, something which became possible due to my constant practice in Chinese writing on my blog. :)
3. Investment Woes
As part of my every-month-wanting-to-do-something-new resolution, I decided to try investment of my CPF savings despite my cynical father's threats. I should have listened to him or be more prudent cos the economic crisis really did me in. But no use crying over split milk. Just holding onto the paper losses and hopefully the long haul will turn things around.
4. Beauty Personified
This year I became a very active online seller (from organising online overseas clothing shopping sprees), raking in considerable cash (which of cos is good considering that it cancels out a good portion of what I lost with the investment boo-boo). I began selling clothes and knick-knacks (new and old) in Yahoo Auctions last year, but around May Yahoo Auctions just died. The Yahoo folks lied about some technical error but I think they were already trying to wind up the entity. By then, I had garnered a steady but pretty loyal following, and some were encouraging me to set up a blogshop. And so I did. I'm pretty proud of myself cos I used to be a real tech idiot but my experience at my previous workplace gave me some web background and in mid June, my blogshop, Beauty Personified, opened. My little sideline continues to do okay, though it has slipped somewhat since the economic crisis.
5. Change of Jobs
I left my second job of 2.5 years because of mainly push reasons, which I have posted on and off on this blog. I endured a lot in the first 6 months of the year before I came to the decision to leave. It was especially tough because I did have a sense of belonging here, which I didn't have in my very first job. Also, I was offered another lifeline towards the end -- a transfer to Corporate Communications, which ironically was the department I applied before I joined. Life is really weird. Sometimes the right things just to have appear at the right time. Leaving was so tough that I wrote 5 farewell letters to 5 groups of people - whom I called "Those Who Matter", to thank them for everything. I can't say I love my new job now. I'm too tired mostly to feel passionate. The workload or rather, deadlines, are crazy. I'm still adjusting. But the people are real nice, a sweet surprise.
6. Surveying My Options
I made a conscious effort to date this year, and to give people who showed an interest in me a chance. I've made more friends, but I can't say I seriously like any of them romantically. Just playing the field I guess.
2008 will also be remembered as the year which I met a weirdo who claimed to have fallen for me at first sight. Well, he turned out to be a bit freaky, even on the online arena, so nothing happened beyond that. But I will always remember his crazy quote when I suggested that we get to know each other online. "I'm not interested in a virtual relationship". Too bad I didn't get the chance to say, "I'm not interested in any relationship -- with you".
7. Taiwan
I gotta go to my favourite country, Taiwan this year. I love Taiwan, from all the TV programmes that I watched. Love the culture, food, fashion, language slangs, etc. Unfortunately the tour we followed wasn't satisfactory so I didn't have the most fun. Hope to go back again, to savour the atmosphere and have more time to eat and shop. Plus meet up with my good online friend, Chanjuan, who's been helping me with my online spree payments, and never asking for anything back. Bless her.
8. Old Friends, New Friends
I lost a couple of friends this year (or maybe before this) because of a date which didn't happen. I wrote a MyPaper entry about being stood-up, and got pretty good response from friends who read it. It's no surprise that the people who responded strongly were those who were always the ones begging for a reunion, and having to collate everyone's availability, then having to redo it when someone can't make it. Only one apology came after the big stand-up (the rest probably didn't know I was angry or worse, didn't care). I admit I was brash to tell the one who apologised off. But she chose a bad time to apologise. Did I see this state of things coming? Totally. Did it hurt? Totally. Does it still hurt? Nope. This incident taught me that life is too short to spend on people who do not care. And on the positive side, I made a conscious effort to care for people who treasure my friendship. And so I embraced new friends, but I will still remember my old friends. They are not my enemies. I am what I am today, because of their companionship as I was growing up. But at some point, when they let go, you have to too.
The almanac says this will be a good year for my zodiac sign. I wonder how 2009 will pan out.
No comments:
Post a Comment